Are You Buying a Home in Newburgh NY?
- ASK Questions!! I get asked questions all the time from buyers and sellers. I frequently find that some clients are reluctant to ask questions for fear of seeming clueless. No questions should ever be left out. In the process of purchasing a home, any and all questions are definitely worth asking. Chances are if you thought of it, someone else has too. Purchasing a home for most people is the single most expensive purchase in a lifetime. As a Real Estate Agent, it is my job to educate and inform. No question is too big or too small. While I don’t always have all the answers, I will make sure to get you answers and help guide you along the way.
- Where to begin the process? Make sure you are ready to purchase when you start the looking process.
- Work with a local, licensed REALTOR®. The agent you choose will be the greatest source of information during the process of buying your home. Your Realtor should provide you with up to date information on what is selling, how long it has been on the market and the prices it sold for. This information is needed for you to be able to put in any offer on a home. Your agent will should be familiar with the local nuances and there to help navigate through any detours along the way. When buying a home you need an experienced, full time, local agent to make the transaction as seamless as possible.
- Get pre-approved by a bank. Understand not only what the bank will lend you, but make sure to have an understanding of the mortgage payments. Your monthly numbers need to include taxes and insurance payments. Banks don’t know all your spending habits. Don’t stretch yourself too tight so that you can’t enjoy a fancy dinner out or a vacation. Ask your lender questions about different programs available and all the fees for each one.
- Do your homework! Check out the location and make an effort to tour around the neighborhood. Find out where the grocery stores, doctors office and hospitals are. How far are you from your work place? Evaluate the homes next door. What schools are available in that area? Paint an entire picture when evaluating the home and its surroundings.
- When viewing homes take notes on the different features of each home. You are bound to forget and it can become a blur as to what features are in each home. You will want to go back and review this. If possible take photos or video if allowed. If you are touring a resale home that is being lived in, always ask permission of the owner. Never take photos of personal nature in a home.
- Think about the resale factor. Statistics show that even though the intention is to stay forever, most only stay in their current home for 4 to 10 years. Don’t go so custom and crazy with unmarketable features that you know to be a hard sell. Think of what features if any, you would be willing to overcome to purchase the home and has that been reflected in the price. A home that is truly unique could be more difficult to sell in the future.
- Last but not least, when you see the home that you like, make an offer. When you make the decision to buy and you fall in love with home, don’t wait. The home that you looked at today could be gone while you are sleeping on it. After losing out on the perfect home it is hard to begin again.
Tips for First-Time Home Buyers – Newburgh NY
Buying a home can certainly be stressful and taking the first step is a difficult one. If you are looking to begin the process be sure to find a Real Estate Agent that knows the process. I would be glad to assist you in any way I can. Remember, the seller is using an agent too, and as a buyer you need one too.
published by: Janis Borgueta, a Realtor in Newburgh NY. Her blog is about living, working and Real Estate in The Hudson Valley. If you would like more information about Real Estate in Newburgh NY and Living in the Hudson Valley, please subscribe to this blog. When you are looking to buy a new home, Search the MLS for New Homes in Newburgh NY. We have homes for sale in Newburgh NY.