Does Your Home Have a WORKING Carbon Monoxide Detector?
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING CAN BE FATAL
In the wake of Hurricane Sandy many people have been using all sorts of “creative ways” to stay warm. Heavy blankets and lots of snuggling is one way, but there has been an increasing amount of people not listening to all the warnings. The improper use of generators has caused many problems along with using a charcoal grill for heat inside a home. Many people don’t understand that is not just the fire that is worrisome, but the actual fumes from the flames.
The outcome has been a number of emergencies related to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. There have been reports of Emergency Services called to over 20 locations in the area due to alarms and some ER visits. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can be fatal. All homes should have a working alarm inside as homes are heated with the burning of oil and propane.
For additional information on the State of New York’s Recommended use of CO Detectors read this. Remember that Carbon Monoxide, as gas, is the result of burning natural gas, oil, charcoal, gas, wood and other materials. It is not the smoke you see. It is a gas that you cannot smell or see. It can kill you while you sleep without any warning.
If you are using a generator as your power is still not back on from Hurricane Sandy, make sure that you are following all the instructions given. The hookup should be done by a licensed electrician. Provide adequate ventilation for the exhaust. A generator is never to be used indoors or even inside the garage. Most Important is that you have a working Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home. It should be battery powered so that in the event you lose electricity and use a generator it will still be working. Too many ER visits and although I did not read that there were any deaths, the lack of oxygen that a person experiences can leave them damaged for life.
Take the time now and spend the few dollars to buy the detector and plug it in. Most have a backup battery and a quick test of that very loud and nasty noise will assure you that you are safe in your home.
published by: your real estate expert Janis Borgueta Key Properties of the Hudson Valley as a community service in Newburgh NY. To receive more real estate information please subscribe to this blog. Looking to buy a new home? Search the MLS for Homes in the Hudson Valley. You can contact Janis at (845)-527-7115 or find her on Google+